A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Lambeth Begins

This site is now 5 years old. It started with the Episcopal Convention that allowed Gene Robinson to become a bishop. There I saw charity towards conservatives combined and a commitment to justice.

I wish I could say the responses after the convention was marked by either charity or justice but already volumes have been written indicating why and how this has not occurred. Despite the contentious issues, a Christian community without charity is neither.

And that's the real tragedy. In the name of defending the church, the meaning of the church has been the greatest causality by it's friends. Lawsuits, church seizures, name calling, and a breakdown of basic church polity (a Gospel issue of how we share our common life.)

Recognizing our finitude might be a way forward: "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home