A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Words We Use

There are a number of troubling themes coming out of the Hillary camp these days. But the one which claims that Obama supporters are effeminate is something taken out of the GOP talking points.

"I've got news for all the latte drinking, Prius driving, Birkenstock wearing, trust fund babies crowding in to hear him speak! This guy won't last a round against the Republican attack machine. He's a poet, not a fighter." said one union official at a Hillary rally.

“Obama has won the small caucus states with the latte-sipping crowd. They don’t need a president, they need a feeling.”is the most recent broadside against Obama supporters. Women, of course, are associated with acting on feeling not rationality.

Which raises the question: is Obama and his supporters being targeted, like Edwards as womanly, as irrational, as girls, not tough, easily swooned by words, not a fighter? And what does that say about the Hillary campaign and her surrogates when they use such terms?

It may mean the campaign is banking on the low estimation of women in this country to tar Obama and to raise her credibility. They are banking on anti-feminism to help win this campaign. If it succeeds it takes some of the steam out of being the first woman president.

As a side note, I wanted to apologize for my absence. I've had a flue that really knocked me out for a week. That and midterms and job hunting has made my internet usage go down the tubes, so to speak. But I'm hoping by next week things might be a bit more settled.

5 Comments:

At 6:50 PM , Blogger Polzoo said...

Hi There,

I read your blog and I think you're a good writer. I want to invite you to our new online community, polzoo.com. It is a user generated political editorial and social network site. We also choose amongst our own bloggers to be featured on the front page. I think your voice would be a great addition to the site. Check us out!

 
At 9:41 PM , Blogger Pastor Bob Cornwall said...

As the Gubernator, Arnold Schwarzenneger said of the Democrats early in his term -- "They're girlie-men."

Maybe Hillary has been listening to Arnold!

 
At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Eli said...

Dwight,

As an avid reader and fellow Disciple of Christ member, I've always enjoyed your blog for its rich liberal theology. Unfortunately, it seems you have become much more interested in the liberal political vs. liberal religious issues.
I really must disagree with your comment: "But the one which claims that Obama supporters are effeminate is something taken out of the GOP talking points."
I've never seen or heard these GOP talking points and as a liberal theologian with a moderate political view, I fear these generalizations are not warranted. Not all Republicans are homophobes and war-mongers (i.e. the "Log Cabin Republicans).
I am an Independent precisely to avoid such labels, whether they be from the Right or the Left.

Just my thoughts...

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger Dwight said...

Eli
Your right of course. I've been dismayed by a number of comments coming out of the Hillary campaign and let that run over my judgment. Of course not all Republicans speak in these terms, though apparently some Democrats do. And that's unfortunate.

As for liberal politics and liberal religion, they certainly are not the same though I tend to hold both and both have come out over the years on this site. The proportion of political and theology posts have varied over the years.

In the last year or so I've made an attempt to focus on theology over politics, but they never can be readily separated. To the degree that the campaigns cross over into basic ethical concerns (how we view women, the use of torture, how we treat gay and lesbians) I've been drawn to comment.

I'm not interested in the horse race and there's a ton of sites who can follow that better in any case. But the broader ethical concerns brought up by the campaign I think people of faith ought to speak on.

But your right to point out that in doing so, we ought to try to not get caught up in the rhetorical excesses of the campaign. Instead we try to articulate our values from our given faith commitments.

 
At 3:57 PM , Anonymous Eli said...

Amen, Dwight, amen. I am disheartened when politicians, especially ones like Hillary Clinton with so much going for them, resort to what I like to call "good ole boy" politics. I was so proud and glad to see how clean the campaigns remained, including the Republicans.

I hope and pray Barak Obama can keep his campaign clean, but it seems once mud starts to sling, everyone gets dirty.

I will continue to pray for all three candidates. In addition, I agree with you that when the political agenda has an adverse impact on broader ethical responsibilities, I too will stand for what I believe Rabbi Jesus would have stood for and stood against.

Thanks, Dwight,

Be a blessing...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home