A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Bush and the Church

It's has been remarked by various commentators how every area of government has been politicized under George Bush. But the affects this has had on the mainline church has not recieved much notice.

A few years ago, mainline churches were declared not religious bodies by the US government so as to allow for more restrictions in terms of contacts with Cuba. The mainline church's support of foreign missions in Cuba was affected for the worse as a result.

Now the IRS is threatening the United Church of Christ's status because of Obama's speech to the 2007 General Synod. It's unprecedented for a denomination to be threatened in this manner. Oddly enough, I ended up writing about Obama's speech last year.

While I was critical of Obama's speech, which I believed cross lines of electioneering, it is also clear that the UCC took a number of precautions against crossing any lines from the topic to be spoken of to the banning of placards in the convention center.

But I wonder if there isn't a pattern here. I know two examples may not be enough but I wonder if there are other examples where the mainline church was in the cross hairs of the Bush administration? Has the politicization of our government made the church a target?

I doubt that "defenders" of Christian faith in the media, etc. will be up in arms. They represent the politicization of the church. In other news, Pew has released a new survey on the state of religion in the country. I hope a future post can respond to this.

3 Comments:

At 5:16 PM , Blogger miranda said...

This is an interesting post. I agree that religion is becoming increasingly politicized. Where it really bothers me is here in Utah. Where my Mormon faith is so often hijacked by Republicans...

 
At 10:36 PM , Anonymous Marg said...

Great post. I really enjoyed your thoughts on this issue. I hope you post about this topic again.

 
At 10:27 PM , Blogger donmoo said...

http://trippincowboy.blogspot.com/
It is ironic that on March 8, Pres. Bush vetoed legislation that would ban torture then on March 12 he would be welcomed to speak at the Religious Broadcasters Convention in Nashville. Who would Jesus torture?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home