A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

News Update

I apologize for the absence of posts. I didn't have internet access over much of last week. Also I've started teaching a few community college courses.

I've enjoyed the History of Christianity course. We've been exploring Greek and Jewish influences that led to the formation of Jesus' world. The Greek background was never spoken much of when I was in seminary but now it has really affected my reading of the NT.

This Sunday I'm going to start, with a friend, teaching junior high sunday school. I'm pretty new to this and filled with anxiety and anticipation with a dash of clueleness. Any ideas and suggestions folks for this age group is more then appreciated.

A friend, recently gave me a subscription to First Things. While I don't agree with their theology, their focus on the theology grounding the intersections of faith and public life is fascinating. It makes me wonder why liberal Protestants have no such equivalent journal.

4 Comments:

At 8:40 PM , Blogger Pastor Bob Cornwall said...

Dwight,

Well Chritianity and Crisis is no longer out there. The Century does a pretty good job and there is the Progressive Christian -- http://tcpmagazine.org. I find it an interesting journal and have had a couple of reviews published in it.

It's not quite as caustic as First Things (I was a charter subscriber but haven't read it in a number of years).

 
At 8:41 PM , Blogger Pastor Bob Cornwall said...

Dwight, I got the address wrong -- it's http://tpcmagazine.org.

Sorry

 
At 9:38 PM , Anonymous Fr Chris said...

Bob --

I find if one simply ignores every single word written by Fr Neuhaus, the signal-to-noise ratio improves tremendously and the magazine is not quite so strident. :-)

Occasionally I'll flip to the end and find some things in his column that are worth reading, but mostly he is just angry and overly dismissive of people who disagree with him. Many of the other writers in the magazine are worth reading, however.

 
At 2:03 AM , Blogger Dwight said...

I do like the Progressive Christians and have come across your pieces in there. I do think the academic theology feel of First Things is more likely to be found in Christian Century, maybe I'm looking for some mix of the two? I had the chance to subscribe to Christianity and Crises about the time they went under. Bad timing. Would love to see that magazine brought back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home