A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Message

I apologize for the lack of posts. Gmail and therefore blogger was causing me problems over the last week. But now I have access back. So a quick thought about the New Hampshire results.

I've been impressed with a number of the candidates on the democratic side. Obama's ability to attract independents, young people, new voters, and to move folks about the prospects of a new America has been exciting to watch. We saw that in Iowa.

But Clinton's victory in New Hampshire ought to remind us that a campaign based on process and reform that doesn't speak to the concerns of those left behind in this society, the poor and the working class who can't pay the bills cannot ultimately win.

I was taken by Clinton's support base: those making under 50,000 a year, high school graduates, women, working class voters who put the economy as their central concern. And she spoke for them when she identified those "invisible Americans"

"I've met families in this state and all over our country who have lost their homes to foreclosures; men and women who work day and night but can't pay the bills and hope they don't get sick because they can't afford health insurance;

Too many -- too many have been invisible for too long. Well, you are not invisible to me...It's time we had a president who stands up for all of you...In the future we will build together. There will be no more invisible Americans." Excerpts from Clinton's speech.

I raise this for a few reasons: I genuinely like Obama and hope he can expand his base. And I believe Clinton tapped into something real, not with tears, but with hitting the economic issues that Edwards has so effectively raised in this campaign.

It looks like Edwards will not be winning any time soon, but I hope his campaign will be remembered for addressing issues that have long been neglected (those left behind in our economy) and that Clinton and Obama will be better candidates for taking these up.

5 Comments:

At 11:40 AM , Anonymous Eli said...

Unfortunately, I have not been as impressed as you. It does seem to be the same old politics, nothing really new. Ms Clinton has the old spin, Mr. Obama has a new spin, but I haven't heard any real substance in their messages. I personally prefer Mr. Edwards, but his message seems to be loss to the masses.

It is a shame in this age of mass media, everyone seems to be afraid to say anything less their opponents (both Democratic and Republican) use it against them. As such, we know little about their real positions until they are elected. In some cases (i.e. President Bush), it is to late.

As for me, I will stay with my independent affiliation and pray some day it will change.

Just my thoughts.

 
At 1:51 PM , Blogger Dwight said...

Eli
Given the record of the Clinton years I'm apt to agree with your assessment. I've been supporting Edwards though he doesn't look to be the nominee. I was just interested in how Clinton picked up this theme of Edwards and hope Obama and Clinton hone in on these issues.

If they get elected maybe we can hold their feet to the fire on issues of poverty, etc. But the democrats since 1948 have had a plank for national health care and here we're here in 2008 without such a thing.

 
At 2:44 AM , Anonymous tanish said...

let this sweet lady to be the president of u s a as she has lots of experience of handling the goverment.also usa needs change we wanna to see a femal president.
ayub

 
At 1:15 PM , Blogger miranda said...

I have to agree with eli. I am not sure who I want to vote for, but unfortunately our government is to the point that no matter who tries to woo the "invisible Americans" they always play second (or third or fourth) fiddle to the more "visible" special interests.

 
At 2:30 PM , Anonymous NWgal said...

I too think all three candidates are impressive..

looking at their record in public office you see Clinton, Obama and Edwards all care about the poor and the forgotten in this country. The big question for me is....who would be the most effective in bringing both sides of the isle together to make things happen.

Clinton,
For as bright and compassionate as she is, I fear she maybe to polarizing in the senate and congress and we will be stuck with egos and grudges and have little improvement in our country.


Edwards,
He is innovative and practical and cares.. but I don’t think he has a chance to win at this point. Its Hillary or Obama. Unless something changes.

Obama,

He to is bright and compassionate.. and he has a reputation of working both side of the isle and doing It well. I think he Is the most likely to bring real change to the forgotten and the nation as a whole.

I am an independent and for the first time in a very long time a feel hope in my heart for our country.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home