A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Christian Radio

I finally fixed my car radio. It's been on hiatus for the time since I've owned it. So I decided to have a listen. I was amazed by the fact that at least half of the radio stations in our area are Christian.

And what kind of Christianity is being presented on the radio waves? The religious right kind. It's wierd shifting your radio by a few numbers and hearing the bashing of other religions, the separation of church and state or to hear a sappy song about the name of Jesus.

I suppose in the last couple of years I've been largely in a bubble. All the religious discussion I have, Christians I work with are mainline and most others are rightfully suspicious of the religion. It's amazing how easy it is to lose contact with a whole other world of discourse.

I'm not sure that bodes well for the culture wars. But it does suggest how novel the progressive Christian radio show that a friend and I do. And how vital these outlets (blogs, columns in the newspaper, etc.) are in presenting an alternative vision.

4 Comments:

At 8:46 AM , Blogger Drew said...

Good point. The right has quite literally been built on the use of media to grow donations and numbers. Ironically the right has been far more technologically progressive than the left! What has happened is that it has leveled the field and made the Christian voice in the media very homogenous. Something, anything different in how that voice is represented would be novel indeed!

 
At 5:27 PM , Anonymous Tim said...

Well my question is: if it's all very well having a decent rector/minister with a liberal anglo-centric view, how do you persuade them to actually post their sermons on the church website!? After all, that is how the voice of sensibility will be heard...

 
At 10:33 PM , Blogger Monk-in-Training said...

Tim,
See if he would be willing to let someone post his notes for him, but I strongly agree!

In Tulsa, here, we desperately need a none right wing version of the Faith on the air!!

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger Chris said...

The Christian radio station where I live plays this song where they have George W talking in the background, sounding all noble, like he's the spokesman of God. It really irritates me.

I suspect, though, that the liberal Christians just aren't willing to crack open their pocketbooks the way righties are.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home