A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Homophobia Alive and Well

It's been a wierd few weeks of news for gay and lesbians in society and the church. We've had a deputy mayor in Italy call for ethnic cleansing of gay and lesbians, reminding us of where hate inevitably leads.

We've had gay supportive church services stormed by anti-gay protesters reminding us that the church can be a victim of homophobia. And another church made news by refusing to hold a funeral for a gay man

And while trials are hopefully a thing of the past in the ELCA Lutheran Church, the ban on celibate gay and lesbian clergy continues with the Christian Century concluding that no other mainline churches are looking to follow the UCC's open support of gblt folks.

I don't want to downplay the step the ELCA has made in ending the harassment of clergy. Such a thing has plagued the churches in a way that strikes me as anti-thetical to the Gospel. Street Prophets has a nice piece on the step forward the ELCA made.

Sometimes the news gets overwhelming and seeing evidences of God's graces in the world is not easy. I apologize for my blog absence. I have not figured out how to afford the move to Indy to attend seminary so I've been scrambling to find a job and ways to get there.

4 Comments:

At 9:13 PM , Blogger David Oliver Kling said...

Sometimes the news get overwhelming and seeing evidences of God's graces in the world is not always easy.

I so understand how you feel on this one!

I have not figured out how to afford the move to Indianapolis to attend Christian Theological Seminary...

I feel your pain. I was looking into moving to Nashville to attend seminary. Wasn't sure how to deal with the cost, and that was one of the reasons I settled for a seminary closer to home -- waiting to hear if I was accepted.

 
At 1:16 PM , Blogger Bill Baar said...

Couples but not plural marriage...

Why?

 
At 1:34 AM , Anonymous -kf said...

"...concluding that no other mainline churches are looking to follow the UCC's open support of gblt folks"

I see no compelling reason for them to do so. Following the UCC's example in this regard would lead off a cliff.

 
At 5:30 AM , Blogger Dwight said...

David
I'm likely to push off seminary entrance for now. I went over to your website and enjoyed the site. Will be adding you to the links.

Bill
Never posted on plural marriage. I suppose the question for religious and political communities would be whether such a form could be sustainable, beneficial or not.

kf
We likely disagree on this issue. But I assume you would agree that we ought to do what we believe to be the right thing whether that makes us popular or not.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home