A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Theological Confessions

This is an old blog meme but I am behind on my postings for this site. In it, people list their theological confessions or proclamations. In any case here's a short list from me.

1. I confess that I don't believe in the supernatural but I do believe in God. God is to be found in this world of ours.

2. I confess that inter-religious work is rewarding but that spirituality apart from a tradition is thin and leaves me cold.

3. I confess that it was Mordechai Kaplan, who gave me ways of speaking of God again, something I had lost in my 20s.

4. I confess that it's been campus ministry work where the reality of God continues to confront me again and again.

5. I confess that Reinhold Niebuhr, Shailer Matthews, and H. Richard Niebuhr have challenged me to dig deeper into the rich resources of the Christian tradition in looking at the human situation.

6. I confess that Josiah Royce and HN Wieman have helped me to make sense of how God was in Christ reconciling the world.

7. I confess that the best way of making sense of "no one comes to the father but through me" was given to me by a student in our campus ministry.

8. I confess that I've been introduced to a number of thinkers that I never pick up until years later. B.A Gerrish and Wayne Meeks are two such examples.

9. I confess that I take gay and lesbian inclusion as a given. That the church has a heterosexual issue, not a gay issue.

10. I confess that mainline protestantism has ways of engaging Christian faith that can save Christianity.

11. I confess that I don't know if many people in the mainline believe my 10th confession. They should.

12. I believe that the end vision of Christian faith is enacted every time one is at the communion table.

9 Comments:

At 3:22 PM , Anonymous Fr Chris said...

9. I confess that I take gay and lesbian inclusion as a given. That the church has a heterosexual issue, not a gay issue.

That's an excellent way of putting it.

Great list over all!

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Eli said...

Dwight,

I'm intrigued by your confession number 10:
10. I confess that mainline Protestantism has ways of engaging Christian faith that can save Christianity

I've often prayed and pondered how Christianity (as portrayed by the media) has become so "nonChristian".

We speak of creating a more vocal non-fundamentalist Christian community where we talk of God's love for all humankind and celebration of diversity, yet nothing happens.

What can or should we do to lift up Christ's true teachings in a world that needs it so desperately?

Eli

 
At 10:09 AM , Anonymous Christina said...

I am interested in what this college student told you about "no one comes to the father but through me" Can you please let us know?

 
At 1:05 PM , Anonymous Progression of Faith said...

Thanks for your list. I agree with so much that you said and I'm enjoying getting to know your blog.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger John Shuck said...

Nice list, Dwight. I do appreciate your #10 and agree with it. Thanks!
j

 
At 12:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In other words: "Lord, I don't believe. Ratify my unbelief!"

 
At 1:31 PM , Blogger Dwight said...

I apologize for my lack of attention to the site. I'm still sorting out plans for getting to seminary, employment, etc. But I am hoping to have some friends write for the site this summer.

Eli
I think that could fill volumes, and I only have an inkling of an idea, but one I've been working with is that the mainline ought to believe and act as if we really were representative of something vital to christian faith. I think we often internalize the message that liberal faith is not the real deal. Or that questioning faith is not one that can attract people. I've seen at our own campus ministry and in a number of churches and this is simply not being the case.

Christina
I should write a post about this but the short of it is: no one comes to God apart from one person because ultimately every person is indispensable to the kind of world God is at work in. But I need to flush it out a bit later on.

Progression of Faith, John Shuck
Thanks! I appreciate the plug btw as well on Shuck and Jive. I go there every day to get ideas, to get challenged about theology, issues in the church.

Anon
Kind of. I think disbelief, as much as belief, is a key to a viable religious faith.

 
At 5:49 AM , Blogger Gunfighter said...

I'm with you on number 10!

 
At 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deliver A Messiah "Mistaken Identity" By Agron Belica

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home