A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Rorty's Religious Vision

I was discussing with a friend on whether Richard Rorty had a religious vision. And then I came across this quote from Rorty that seems to suggest yes.

"My sense of the holy, insofar as I have one, is bound up with the hope that someday, any millennium now, my remote descendants will live in a global civilization in which love is pretty much the only law.

In such a society, communication would be domination-free, class and caste would be unknown, hierarchy would be a matter of temporary pragmatic convenience, and power would be entirely at the disposal of the free agreement of a literate and well-educated electorate..

[I have] no idea of how such a society could come about. It is, one might say, a mystery. This mystery, like that of the Incarnation, concerns the coming into existence of a love that is kind, patient, and endures all things."

1 Comments:

At 2:14 PM , Anonymous The Great Homesickness said...

His vision sounds like that of the early church.

I think Rorty has much to say to the church-- at once both a critique of the church and an interpreter of the culture around it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home