A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Off to Seminary

I was just in Indianapolis to look for an apartment and a job. I was recently accepted at Christian Theological Seminary. The end result I hope is ordination in the Disciples of Christ.

The opportunity to do this is exciting and yet tinged with remorse as I leave many friends that have been central to my life for the last number of years. We'll always be connected and friendships can last a lifetime but being physically distant weighs on me.

But the school has excellent faculty, courses, and opportunities in helping people engage in a lifetime of religious work in and outside the church. And living in a city will provide ways of engaging life and the church that look different from a small college town.

As I noted before, I'll be moving this month so my postings will be more sporadic until I get settled in. But I have some great friends and readers of this site who have offered to fill in now and again with thoughtful postings. I'm looking forward reading their insights.

4 Comments:

At 6:35 PM , Blogger Pastor Bob Cornwall said...

Dwight,

Congratulations on your choice of CTS. It has a long and proud heritage and good faculty -- even if they didn't choose to hire me to teach church history! Give my regards to Ron Allen and Clark Williamson. And of course I hope you will pursue ordination in the DOC. We need more good pastors. And consider also membership in the Academy of Parish Clergy!

 
At 6:11 PM , Blogger Erik said...

Congrats, Dwight! Best wishes.

 
At 8:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jPKkqI7n0

 
At 12:11 AM , Blogger Dwight said...

Bob Cornwall
Thanks. I am hoping for ordination with the Disciples and working with the conference here in Illinois towards that end.

I have discovered Indianapolis to be a hard place to move to, in terms of finding work, affording an apartment but the school itself was wonderful to visit.

What is the Academy of Parish Clergy? And how would one get involved with it? Do you get a chance to teach church history in the various roles you have where you're at?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home