A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Good News

I was talking to the librarian at my church and he had a small pile of books he was planning to dump, one of them was the Good News for Modern Man Bible. Thankfully I was able to rescue a copy.

This version reads ok, but what was key is the nostalgia. Growing up, our church had these as the pew bibles. I think the most memorable aspect of these bibles was the drawings. Some of the most potent representation of biblical stories can be found in these drawings.

I don't have the background to evaluate translations but the NRSV is the most common in academic contexts. The language which has the most majesty and poetry for me (bad academic criteria) remains the New English Bible, the ecumenical bible of the UK.

In other news, Bill O Reilly went after Daily Kos for calling the primate of Italy, Pope Benedict, a primate. I'm not shocked that the great defender of religion would not know that primate is a title, but one would think that someone at Fox would have caught it.

And the Disciples of Christ is having their general assembly in Fort Worth Texas July 21st through the 25th. Jim Wallis I know will be speaking at that gathering. You can check out the proceedings and videos of events by checking out the GA website.

6 Comments:

At 11:35 AM , Anonymous Michael S said...

That's too funny about O'Reily.

 
At 12:38 PM , Anonymous Marilyn said...

And too funny about "Good News for Modern Man!" For some bizarre reason, I was just reminiscing about that, er, "translation" recently, and wishing I could find one simply for nostalgia's sake! We must be of the same era. It was the primary study bible for the congregation I grew up in (my father was the pastor).

 
At 3:49 PM , Blogger Dwight said...

Marilyn
I grew up as a presbyterian in the 70s and 80s which I suspect is the heyday for that translation. I think it came out in 1971. Odd translation when I picked it up again but lots of nostalgia.

 
At 11:24 PM , Blogger prgirl said...

The Good News Bible-- which was a hit (is that the right word???) in the l960's was originally a translation by Dr. Robert Bratcher of the American Bible Society, intended to be used in Western Africa..for those learning English. What was interesting to me was that Dr. B had only 5000 English words to use in the entire NT (The Old Testament was translated by a committee!). How do I know this...I was one of the checker of Hebrews and Phillipians...And I love the lovely sketches as well. (I use the NRSV now..) And I'm no longer a translator....long story.

 
At 2:57 AM , Anonymous Prophetic said...

wow! I so appreciate this. thank you.

Prophecy

 
At 4:30 AM , Anonymous Prophecy said...

Nice reading. And a nice blog template,

Prophecy news watch

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home