A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Changing the Debate

Here's an encouraging piece on the role the Religious Coalition for the Freedom to Marry has played in the gay marriage debate in MA.

The coalition includes more than 700 clergy, rabbis, churches, and groups from 23 different faith traditions. They've recently won an award for their work.
Rabbi Devon Lerner, the coalition's director, said RCFM's higher public profile "has shown to the GLBT community that many religious communities support full marriage equality, even within their own denominations, a fact not known to many."

RCFM's public advocacy "has shown citizens and legislators alike that more and more people of faith support marriage equality." "Legislators told us that they were visited by more clergy and people of faith than ever before"
This is what ends up shifting the debate on religion and the public square in a way that represents the diversity of religious life in this country. As a side note, I'm off to Florida for a bit of vacation so my blog posts will resume in a week.

4 Comments:

At 3:02 PM , Blogger Bill Baar said...

I can't think of a dumber frame than marriage equality.

I do not discrimante against same sex marriage. I do discriminate against plural marriages, marriage of minors, marriage of cousins, and I say so in simple language.

 
At 10:34 AM , Blogger Dwight said...

Point well taken.

 
At 10:21 PM , Blogger David-Constitutional America said...

I don't know what Bible you read.

I guess Religious Liberal defines your political convictions.

Reference This

 
At 12:08 AM , Blogger Dwight said...

It would define my political and theological convictions. And yes I read the same Bible as you do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home