A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Elections

As someone who was born, grew up, and spent most of my life in Montana, the election of John Tester to the US Senate was the highlight of a good election night last week.

Montana has a history of progressive leaders from Jeanette Rankin, the first woman in congress to senators Mike Mansfield and Lee Metcalf. It's good to see that tradition re-affirmed. Hopefully the anger with the war in Iraq will make for some substantive changes.

What is interesting is the role religion played in the victories last week. The Catholic vote swung to the Democrats. And the mainline Protestant vote is becoming a part of the dem coalition while evangelicals remained true to the GOP.

The moral issues were much broader, including religious efforts to increase the minimum wage. While this is good news, there are pitfalls for the religious left, in the midst of these victories. But for now I'm content with the changed landscape.

2 Comments:

At 2:29 PM , Blogger John Shuck said...

Hello! You have made reference to my blog a couple of times. I have linked to yours. I didn't know you were a fellow Montanan, too! I grew up in Whitehall, graduated from Butte Central, was weeded out at Montana State after two years, and served First Pres. Billings from 2001-2004. Now, in Tennessee and would have voted for Tester had I been home. I thought it was a good decision for Montanans.

Peace,
John Shuck
http://shuckandjive.blogspot.com/

 
At 7:04 PM , Anonymous Allen said...

I've always been fascinated with Montana and that part of the country and can't wait to see it some day.
I've seen interviews with John Tester and I think he's great. A real down to earth midwestern guy and a great senator for the democrats.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home