A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Living Together

An interesting quote: "As a member of an evangelical community that is committed to be a "fifth Gospel", I would like to see my Shiite sister happily and safely reading the Quran in front of our evangelical church."

I would like to see our Shiite and Sunni guests feel that not all evangelicals are apt to watch them getting ready for the battle of Armageddon. I would like to see the destruction of evil and the elimination of violence, but not by counter evil and violence.

I do not have in mind any tendency towards syncretism of religions. However, I do believe that people of various religious backgrounds can and must learn how to live together and to respect one another." Rev Riad Kassis, Director & Chaplain J. L. Schneller Institute

3 Comments:

At 7:27 PM , Blogger Bill Baar said...

I wish this Evangelical had been as out spoken in support of the Shia when we brutally abandoned them after the first Gulf War.

Al Sistani deserves the Noble Peace Prize for the way he's navigated things in Iraq.

It's the perversion of Shia belief we've witnessed from Iran that's the danger and enemy.

Bernard Lewis is warning us too.

 
At 8:59 PM , Anonymous Allen said...

There is a great deal of perversion within Islam I believe. But I also think Islam is a immature religion. Christianity has had more time to mature and find better footing, Christians had their own times in history of violence.
We need to try and seek out those peaceful elements of Islam and embrace them.

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger Saracen said...

Nice post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home