A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Faith and Politics

"We don’t support inclusion and justice in spite of our faith in the Christian Gospel, but rather because of it. If we don’t, then we start to move towards becoming a vaguely spiritual action committee for the DNC."

I would use different language than this post, but I agree with the essence. Yes I'm a liberal Christian, but politics is not the substance of faith even if it may be an application of it. To claim this word has more to do with ways of working out religious beliefs and practices.

It's one reason I'm concerned with the content of several recent books which seek battle with the religious right and define a religious left. Too often they leave out discussions about God, scripture, the nature of the religious life and instead focus on today's political battles.

But I think it's a shame, because people really are trying to find *religious* alternatives to fundamentalism, we should be giving them bread not stones. I may disagree with Spong on some points but his books aim for this. The new generation of books largely don't.

I'll be reviewing two of them in the future to see where they come down on this. Why the Christian Right is Wrong by Robin Meyers and Big Christianity by Jan Lyn. These two books are written by mainline ministers so the conversation seems fitting for this site.

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM , Blogger Renee said...

I agree with what you are trying to say. If we feel that much of the Christian right is headed in a dangerous direction, we need to offer substance in our disagreements. And I would also argue that we need to start with Christian scriptures and tradition, which are the common ground for both the left and the right (although there are certainly disagreements about how Christian scriptures and tradition ought to be interpreted.)

I don't know how you feel about Jim Wallis' "God's Politics". I must confess that I haven't read the whole book, but one thing he says in it has stayed with me for a long time. It is not enough for people to protest. Those who want to see things change must offer an alternative vision. I think this is important and goes right to the heart of your post.

 
At 12:42 PM , Anonymous Kelly said...

I'm just wondering what a "liberal Christian" is. Can someone define that for me? I'm a Christian, period. I'm confused with this polarization and labeling.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home