A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Convention Time

Back in August of 2003 I started this blog partly in response to my visit to the Episcopal convention in Minneapolis where saw lay delegates debate the selection of Gene Robinson as bishop.

Though I'm not Episcopalian the church has produced a number of folks and actions that provided me space to work out my faith, to question things without feeling that I needed to walk away from the church. Btw Susan Russell site is covering the 2006 gathering.

The Presbyterians are meeting as well. They've just selected a moderator who said that she can't get her mind around the idea that homosexuality is part of God's plan. The mainline sometimes has a curious sense of what it means to split the difference.

Some of have suggested have that the Southern Baptists meeting has taken a more measured route in keeping the independence of their women's division, in voting down proposals for baptists to leave the public schools. Is it a sign of a shift in the denomination?

If I can get the money or a ride I plan to attend next week's UUA general assembly. What's odd is that I've never been to the assembly of my own denomination, the Disciples of Christ. That's going to have to change for next year. I admit, I'm a sucker for such things.

1 Comments:

At 4:52 PM , Anonymous philocrites said...

I hope to see you in St. Louis.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home