A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Some quotes I've come across in the last few days. Al Gore's recent speech on Bush's abuse of presidential power. "An executive who arrogates to himself the power to ignore the legislative directives of the Congress or to act free of the check of the judiciary becomes the central threat that the Founders sought to nullify in the Constitution"

A Disciple's minister comments on how liberal faith is portrayed in Daniel, a tv drama focused on the family of an Episcopalian priest: "it was a ridiculous caricature of progressive Christianity - or rather, what some conservative Christians perceive to be liberal Christianity. "Maybe sin isn't so bad" or something like that. Blech."

Philosophy over Coffee and Even the Devils Believe took a test on the nature of Jesus so I decided to give it a try. I come out a heretic with the top two categories being Monarchianism at 75% and Socinianism 67%.They say: "God exists as the Father only, though he can reveal himself in other ways in a manner similar to modalism."

I see myself a modalist. If we say that God is three persons, the way I'm able to think of a person is through a particular kind of activity and relating, so that God has particular "modes" of relating and acting towards us. Socinianism is a kind of unitarian thought. So all these terms point to a particular kind of theo-centric faith.

The God or Not God carnival, whose focus is on scriptural literalism is up at the site Back of the Envelope. I'm also adding some new links. It Seems to Me, a site that combines a commitment to social justice with some thoughtful posts on theology. And Progressive Faith Blog Con which is drawing attention to a gathering of religious progressive bloggers.

4 Comments:

At 12:38 PM , Anonymous Chris T. said...

Don't forget to check out Faith and Theology! I know I keep nagging you about it, but it's a great blog.

 
At 4:52 PM , Blogger prodigal sheep said...

Interesting you should bring up the heresy thing. I'm considering myself more of a unitarian (lower case 'u') as well as a universalist these days. Prior to a year or so ago I would have considered myself fairly agnostic.

Two influential books on my thinking on this subject (not at all theologically dense) were Philip Gulley's If Grace is True and Marcus Borg's The Heart of Christianity: Redsicovering a Life of Faith. Well worth the read if you have time.

 
At 5:41 PM , Blogger Bill Baar said...

Read the Special Counsel's report on Clinton-Gore Admin's abuse of powers, especially with the IRS, in the investigation of Henry Cisneros.

I think History will look on Bush much more favorably when it comes to integrity.

The Press Release says it all.

This has been a long and difficult investigation. It is my hope that people will read the entire Report and draw their own conclusions. An accurate title for the Report could be, “WHAT WE WERE PREVENTED FROM INVESTIGATING.”

After a thorough reading of the Report it would not be unreasonable to conclude as I have that there was a coverup at high levels of our government and, it appears to have been substantial and coordinated. The question is why? And that question regrettably will go unanswered. Unlike some other coverups, this one succeeded.

 
At 12:42 AM , Blogger Dwight said...

chris
I do need to read that site more often than I do.

prodigal sheep
I've read a bit of Borg. I remember being turned on to him by a campus pastor, in particular his book Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time.

The Heart book does a good job at presenting a basic introduction to liberal Protestant thought. I haven't read If Grace is True but I've had a ton of folks, including my pastor recommend to me.

Bill Baar
I think Bush has taken it to another level, in that he boasts about his intentions to not be bound by the law. That strikes at the heart of democratic governance in the way that Clinton sleaze never did.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home