A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A question was raised about why a mainline ministry would wish to be involved with an evangelical praise service. It's two fold. The claim of those holding the service is that this is an attempt to bring all Christians together on campus. But if it's designed in a way that Catholics and mainline Protestants are not in a position to participate, that goal seems to be lost.

If it was only intended for evangelical groups, there's nothing wrong with it. I've been to the service and it's edifying for all involved. But there should be some truth in advertizing, that in fact this is not for all Christians, only evangelicals who are participating in this event. So that's why we got involved, to see if it was the first or the latter.

My impression in discussions and participating in some of the meetings is that it is the latter. But I do think it's unfortunate that there so far has been no vehicle which can cross the evangelical mainline divide on campus. It's something I've experienced in my undergrad as well. I'm not sure what can be done about it, but I'm open to ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home