A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Friday, November 18, 2005

I'm not sure what internet protocol requires but I read such a moving comment at Gay Restorationist that it seemed worth sharing as it suggests the way that one's interactions with others, even across large divides, can affect one another. This is a reaction to the recent amendment to the constitution in TX which bans gay marriage:

"I have wanted to comment here for a while and I'm finally working up the guts. I guess that as a Christian I'm not sure where I stand on homosexuality anymore. I used to think it was so black and white. My husband and I thought and prayed over which way to vote on Prop 2. We ended up voting against it- not that it mattered that much.

My parents would be mortified. Everything seems to be so cut and dry for certain people. We voted against it because even though- at this time- we believe that homosexuality is wrong (it's so easy for us to say that since we've never struggled with it)- we believe that every person should have equal rights.

I watched a program once about a dying gay man who wanted his partner to make decisions and be his beneficiary. Because they had no legal bindings as a "couple", the dying man's parents made every decision and made decisions that his partner knew he would not want. This doesn't seem like moral justice to me.

It broke my heart and it surprised me how defensive of these gay men I became. So- I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to say. Just know that you're making me think. I'm not sure I agree with you on everything. But I like thinking outside my little suburban stay at home mom world- it's a very small world."

4 Comments:

At 1:21 PM , Anonymous Terrance said...

That's an amazing comment. And, yes, that's something that happens to gay and lesbian couples pretty regularly if they don't have advance directives and medical powers of attorney.

I know my own parents would probably do everything I wouldn't want. They'd have a christian funeral, complete with hymns and an altar call, then stick me in a cemetary. But I'd rather have a non-religious memorial, be cremated,and then have my ashes scattered. My partner knows this. He also has medical power of attorney, right up to making the funeral arragnements.

I hope we won't need these documents, but we have to have them if we want our relationship respected under those circumsatnces. Why? Because we can't marry and get them by default.

 
At 4:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat Says
I can understand how people can be so mixed up about gay rights. First off we have to understand that homosexuals and lesbians struggle with an identity problem like nothing most people can understand. It doesn’t make it right or wrong, just like our own problems with what we do before God are right or wrong on their stand alone. We have to look at what God says we have to stand on.

We each have great issues in our lives that we have to take to God, lay them down before Him, confess them and walk as He directs us to walk. There are people who lie. They don’t even think of it as lying. They are just expanding on the true to make it more interesting, or telling you what they think you want to hear. They don’t think of it as wrong, it is a way of life for them. Most people around them will just laugh it off and say that’s just Joe, you can’t believe a word he says, be he means well!

What does God say about liars? He puts them in the same category as murderers and witches (Revelation 21). Scary, huh? Well, what else does He say? In Galatians 5 we are taught to walk in the Spirit of God, not after the lust of the flesh.

God loves homosexuals and so should we. But we should not lose sight of what is right and wrong in the sight of God. We all need God’s grace, but we have to be willing to seek it to receive it. Lev 18:22 and Romans 1:26-27 make it very clear that homosexuality and lesbian activity is wrong in the eyes of God. We have to go with that and even if we are drawn in that direction, turn from it and seek God with all our hearts, mind and soul.

I am sorry if this offends you, but God has reasons for everything He as set down for us. This world is only a training ground for wonders to come. The body we live in now is only a shell and will be left behind as the real us that lives in our spirit soars to new life everlasting. We can not throw that away for what we might consider physical pleasure here in this life-time.

Have you heard that the Bible tells us in Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. – Well God is trying to train us up the way we should go so He can bring us into a mature marvelous existence in our next walk with Him.

 
At 9:41 PM , Blogger CK said...

The body we live in now is only a shell and will be left behind as the real us that lives in our spirit soars to new life everlasting.

Right. Read the Bible again. Especially Paul on the new bodies that Christians will supposedly get, after the kind that Christ got (if he's just spirit, then the whole point of resurrection is moot).

Get some more exegetical skills before you try to condemn others with the same text you don't understand.

 
At 5:14 PM , Anonymous Tim said...

Anonymous says:
> Lev 18:22 and Romans 1:26-27 make it very clear that homosexuality and lesbian activity is wrong in the eyes of God.

They do? Have you noticed that
a) Leviticus is law for the levites; the application of all of it to everyone today is dubious, especially as we are not under law any more;
b) Romans 1:26 actually *starts* back at verse 18 there? If you don't read such "long" passages as a whole to get what they're about, then what do you make of the phrase `God gave them over to dishonourable passions'?

On what grounds do you take these words of scripture and insist that your particular flawed moral interpretation is applicable to everyone?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home