A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Thought I'd share a number of disturbing news stories on the Catholic Church. Politicians who support gay rights have been banned from speaking at churches in the Phoenix Diocese by Bishop Thomas Olmsted. So far under the new policy AZ's governor has been blocked from an event in a church. Scientists are also concerned about a shift in the Catholic Church against evolution and have asked for clarification of the church's stance.

And the Metropolitan Community Church was evicted without notice from an AIDS hospice which is run by the Catholic diocese in New Orleans. The reason was the MCC's support of and performance of gay marriages. Even leasing the building might get the impression that the RCC was not actively opposed to such unions, so they have to leave. Is this new under Ratzinger or was I not as much aware of this hard turn to the right, this unyielding campaign against gay and lesbians and individual conscience in the church?

I suppose being a perpetual student my major interaction with Catholicism has been Newman Centers, most of which are homes of progressive religious thought and practice. I never ran into a right wing form of catholicism until I was almost done with my B.A. So this right turn of the church has caught me a bit by surprise. I was talking recently with some folks from Dignity in St. Louis and they expressed a sort of weariness of being treated as the enemy in the church. Looking for some signs of hope.

4 Comments:

At 9:55 PM , Blogger Apostle John said...

Just found your blog -- great to read a liberal view! I'll be back.

 
At 2:51 PM , Anonymous Nacho said...

"Looking for some signs of hope." Well, we can find hope and grace everywhere, but I agree with you. The hard move to the right, to rigidity of belief, to dogmaticism, is not healthy, and ultimately is the bane of good spirituality. The Catholic Church, it strikes me, is headed for rocky shores as it continues its path down that defensive stance. So are other churches/religions that in proclaiming their faith, also believe they have the truth.

Thanks for the blog!

 
At 10:10 AM , Anonymous catholorenzo said...

Hi, just came back from a 2 weeks holiday in Rome. You've have no idea how far the Conservative Christian Revolution has reached... We've been happy for too long in nice and friendly local communities...

 
At 7:42 AM , Anonymous Padre said...

Hmmm...I am not quite so sure what is so disturbing about these things. It seems to me the Roman Catholic Church should be commended for actually acting on what she believes. If she didn't she would be a hypocrite, and I am not too fond of hypocrites. I would rather have the RCC stand up for her beliefs with courage than be wishy washy. And on top of it all, the RCC is right on these issues, and if it causes people to leave the Church, well, that's ok. I would rather have a small faithful group than a large group that compromises on the truth.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home