A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Sunday, April 10, 2005


If you visit Philocrites' site you discover that it's UU. If you visit Wesley Blog it doesn't take long to find the Methodist connection. But this site has been fairly vague in terms of institutional connections. There's been an identification with liberal Protestantism as it's found within the mainline churches but that's as far as it has gone.

Some of this is due to the fact that I haven't officially joined a congregation in my time in Illinois. I've been a bit of a church hopper. I have been active with a local campus ministry program which is sponsored by the Disciples, UCC, and Presbyterians but it's been the only religious affiliation I've had here. Now I've found a home in our local UCC and will be joining this congregation in the coming month. So I suppose this can be considered a UCC blog.

The title of the blog comes from UU circles. I've had some involvement with UUism when I was in seminary in Minnesota. The title is also reclaimining language. The word religious signifying a committment to institutional expressions of religion and liberal representing a particular openness to change and revision thus a creative tension exists between the two terms.

The old symbol on my blogstudio site was stolen from Reconstruction Judaism. The movement's founder Mordechai Kaplan re-ignited a particular faith in God which continues to influence my thinking today, in particular his work The Meaning of God in Modern Jewish Religion. More and more a certain vision of ethical monotheism has animated my religious and philosophic interests.

I wanted to be a member of a movement/congregation which has moved beyond the gay debate to tackling the real issues and problems in human existence and can direct people to that reality beyond ourselves which is worthy of reverence. Every denomination is fraught with it's own issues, but I think for now it makes sense to follow through my committments in the UCC.

This site's interest in liberal religious expression, within a wide range of Protestantism and Judaism will remain. And since it's coming on to two years of existence, any suggestions and recommendations in making this site improve is most appreciated. Thanks go to the folks who read this blog, comment, e-mail me (even when I'm bad at responding back to folks) and who affirm my ramblings.

2 Comments:

At 2:09 PM , Blogger Joe G. said...

Congratulations on your finding a home. The UCC has a good rep so...

 
At 8:11 AM , Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home