A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005


Cardinal Ratzinger has been selected as the new pope taking on the name of Pope Benedict the 16th. His work as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, formerly known as the Inquisition, points to the rightward direction of the church. In the 1980s he moved against liberation theologians, in the 1990s he moved against religious pluralism and in recent years has gone after gays and liberalism. Here's hoping that his reign as chief pastor of the church differs from his role as head doctrinal enforcer.

2 Comments:

At 2:04 PM , Anonymous terrance said...

I see no reason to hope for anything different from him. Remember when people thought W would be more moderate once he was in office? And this guy doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected.

I predict we'll see nothing different from him than we saw before.

 
At 3:25 PM , Anonymous Tim said...

It's been interesting watching people's expectations in news and online reports. I get the impression some folks are simply all behind the guy, some folks are rather worried about his conservative stance. I hear of quite a few other denominations - ironically, anglicans in particular! - sounding like they're adopting him as their own "head of the church on earth". I do wish people would get it right: he and the catholic church may claim he is that, but while I respect the guy as a man I do not consider him to have any hold over *my* Christian life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home