A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Friday, January 07, 2005

I apologize for the last few days of absence. My ceiling has collapsed in my apartment, where once my computer sat. So I've been offline and not able to respond to a number of issues which I've been itching to post on. But I did make the plunge and bought myself a digital camera...I was jealous of what Blogopotamus has been able to do with her camera so tomorrow I'll post a pic or two of the hole which was once my ceiling.

I had wanted to write a post about Alberto Gonzales and the problem of torture, which according to reports from the Red Cross appears to be a widespread practice. The idea that Bush would nominate an attorney general who oversaw the abandonment of the anti-torture provisons of the Geneva Convention ought to be shocking. The administration has since backed away from such moves officially, even while conservative commenators defend them. I admit, I never thought I'd see the day when torture became a partisan issue. What is happening to this country of ours?

And some items to highlight. Progressive Protestant is back with the same thoughtful analysis of the church and culture. Some new posts by blogopotamus, which recount growing up in the early 90s where there was a space to work out one's ideas, religious and otherwise, as a liberal. And my new hero, Barbara Boxer, who was the one senator who challenged the certification of this last election, raising the critical issue of voter disenfranchisement. She also offered a good lesson to the dems on what it means to be an opposition party.

3 Comments:

At 9:38 AM , Blogger Mumcat said...

Ouch! Sorry about the hole in the ceiling. Hopefully no damage to the computer. And that the hole can be repaired quickly.

I'm still shaking my head about that appointment. I'm wondering how the idea of torture fits in with the "Christian" belief system the current incumbent claims to have. Somehow I'm not seeing a lot of walking the walk.

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger veggiedude said...

"I'm wondering how the idea of torture fits in with the "Christian" belief system the current incumbent claims to have."


I think it is called 'compassionate conservatism'.

The main reason to abandon torture was to make sure the enemy does not use it on our own. Bush has changed the rules of the game, and I wonder how military families feel about this? I wouldn't know, the media never talks about it.

 
At 5:08 AM , Blogger Marcus said...

Sorry about the ceiling. And enjoy the camera. But I hope a new burst of photography doesn't take you even further from your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home