A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

I've been out of town over this last weekend, so I apologize for the absence of new posts. Last time I put out a challenge to find one conservative who says that it is important to listen and learn from liberals even while the reverse has been a major theme in the reporting over religion and this election. I think this could qualify. It's an interview of Max Lucado by beliefnet. He says "I wish there could be some way that blue states could kind of intermingle with the red states. And then vice-versa..there’s not that dialogue taking place right now."

There's a generosity of spirit in the piece even if we are worlds apart in terms of religious commitments. Also I appreciated a number of recent comments on this blog. For one, I was able to discover several sites that I wasn't aware of before.

Sonafide.com whose most recent piece on how the image of Jesus is being transformed by the religious right is a must read:

Christ has..replaced by an imposter that cares more about retaining American might than loving one's enemies. The imposter does not pray, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." Rather, he prays, "Father, please protect me as I open up a righteous can of whoop ass on those Arabs."

Arbitrary Marks is written by a grad student in philosophy. If you go to her site you'll find a number of thoughtful pieces on a range of topics from faith based iniatives to gay marriage. And the concern for being able to reach across divides is evident throughout the site. As she writes about the cultural and religious divisions in this country: Maybe I'm an idealist, a bad Foucauldian who would like to see power displaced in favor of dialogue

Also wanted to highlight a few other items. One of the conservative religious locals that I tend to frequent is the Wesley Blog, a United Methodist site. He's one of the only evangelical blogs that I know of, who is willing to engage us liberals as fellow Christians who happen to disagree, as opposed to apostates who must be driven from the church. That and he linked me. Also it's been a good day for music for me, with U2's release of their new album: How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. If there's such a thing as progressive Christian rock, this seems like the best candidate out there.

And a prominent liberal protestant theologian recently passed away at the age of 85, Langdon Gilkey. His book Out of the Whirlwind helped to clarify for me a number of the issues which are at stake in the affirmation of God today. In his career he negotiated the intersections of ethics, philosophy, the sciences, and the traumatic events of the 20th century in working out questions of religious faith. As he wrote: The question for our age may well become, not will religion survive, as much as will we survive and with what sort of religion, a creative or demonic one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home