A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Monday, July 12, 2004

I'm currently listening to the debate in the US senate over the federal marriage amendment. If you'd like to express your opposition , call your elected official and get involved. The sort of claims being raised in this debate on both sides are disapointing.

Democrats are hiding behind the rubric of states rights and thus failing to address the fundamental injustice of the federal marriage amendment. And Republicans are addressing the importance of families and children, which is not arguable but they somehow make the jump from this to fighting gay marriage. As if gay and lesbian families do not have children. And if they do they don't count.

And as if their families don't engage in the same functions that other families do which any society ought to value. The phrase traditional marriage avoids what ought to be valued: healthy, committed, stable relationships which develop the growth and possibilities of human life.

In other news: the Australian Anglican Church is considering legislation which would pave the way for women bishops. In the UK the Anglican Church defeated a measure which would institute heresy courts. And Ron Reagan will be speaking at the democrat's nat'l convention on the importance of stem cell research. It is a sad commentary on our society that such research has become a partisan issue.

3 Comments:

At 12:20 AM , Blogger Jake said...

Thanks for providing the links to oppose this.

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger BlondeSense Liz said...

You have a great blog here. I'm a religious liberal too and like what you're saying. I'll be back often.

This marriage amendment is just ridiculous because what is really tearing families apart in this country is divorce. Christians who are hell bent on keeping gays out of the marriage community ought to clean up marriage. It means nothing these days. It's not sacred anymore. 50% of marriages end up in divorce. More evangelical christians get divorced than regular christians too and they're the ones who are against gay marriage the most. Go figure. If anyone actually cared about preserving marriage and families and religous values, they ought to be worrying about what Jesus said about divorce and look at themselves first.

Know what? I can't stand my husband. I made a big mistake. My son really appreciates that I stuck it out though and made the best of it. He knows what kind of guy his dad is and respects that I understand that you only get one dad in life and I just dealt with it as best I could. The husband didn't beat us or anything. He was just mean. If he beat us, of course I would have ditched him. I can deal with mean and I taught my son to learn from mean-ness and how it feels to be on the receiving end of mean and not to inflict it on others. He's 18 and gets it now. I am planning on getting a divorce soon anyway. I've had enough. I won't remarry in accordance with Jesus' teaching.

 
At 2:43 PM , Blogger Dwight said...

Father Jake

Thanks for the link to the site btw and for your posts on Kerry's book. I rarely have read such books but I think we're getting some picture of the main who would end the Bush years.

Blondesense

I wonder if one way to clean up marriage is to make a sharp distinction between civil and religious marriage, where expectations and community support might be more highlighted with the latter?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home