A Religious Liberal Blog

This site hopefully can provide some vehicle by which I can comment, complain, and once in a while praise the state of religion in this country and around the world from a liberal protestant perspective.

Sunday, August 03, 2003

I apologize for my abscence in the last few days. I have driven up to Minneapolis to attend the 74th General Convention of the Episcopal Church. I'm actually posting on this blog from the Every Voice table. I had a chance to attend this morning's worship service, and it was incredibly powerful. A huge sounding orchestra and choir and thousands of people together probably helped. But there was an odd address by the head of the Nigerian Anglican church, which tossed about notions such as Christian separation from heathenism and being a general in God's army. And while the homosexuality word was never mentioned, it was hard to miss the subtext of the sermon. That and I discovered my own theological issues coming up with some of the language of the liturgy, so I set my mind to ignore such things and to be carried away with the aesthetic moment, the music, the warmth of many of the people I've already run into, the orchestra, and so forth. I'll post later on and things progress for me at the convention.

On a side note, while I was in Minneapolis, I picked up a copy of the City Pages, which had the most concise and articulate discussion of Bush and his deceptions which started a war. It's worth checking out.

  • link
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home